1. Categories are as follows:
a. Sponsored Floats
b. Truck Floats
c. Float drawn by separate vehicles
d. Antique Cars
e. Marching / Walking Groups
g. Dance Teams
2. A marching group is ten (10) or more persons costumed alike.
3. Only motor vehicles--named groups of Jeeps, motorcycles, bicycles, scooters and horses will be allowed in the parade. Your club or organization entry form must be submitted by Monday, January 9 2023 along with your fee to ensure participation in the parade. Solo entries will not be accepted. NOTE: Jeep entries are limited to 12 vehicles each. ATV’s are not accepted.
4. Any motorized vehicle must have liability insurance and must attach a Certificate of Insurance to application form.
5. Lineup placement for the parade will be decided prior to the meeting Wednesday, February 8, 2023 at the Covington Firehouse Event Center. Details to follow.
6. On Wednesday, February 8, 2023, each organization/participant must send at least one representative to the Carnival in Covington Parade meeting. Roll will be called, and each organization/participant must be represented to receive their parade position packet.
7. All trucks, floats, other rolling vehicles, riders and marching groups must be properly decorated and/or costumed in a theme appropriate to the parade.
8. No flatbed trucks allowed due to insurance restrictions. Must have at least 4-foot sides on all four sides.
9. All rolling units must display the two (2) official position signs. (Carnival in Covington will provide signs)
10. Minimum age to ride on a float is 10 years old. Riders under the age of 18 must be accompanied by adult parent/guardian.
11. No object that could cause injury to a spectator may be thrown. Offenders will be ejected from the parade.
12. No throws are allowed from the driver in their vehicle.
13. Costumes and decorations, including music, must be appropriate for all ages. Obscene or deeply provocative themes are not allowed. Costumes must be theme of the float/truck or purple, green or gold attire.
14. CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS BY FLOAT RIDERS OR OTHER PARADE PARTICIPANTS IS NOT ALLOWED BEFORE OR DURING THE EVENT. PARTICIPANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SMOKE WHILE IN THE PARADE.
15. Participants should begin arriving at 7:00 am Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at the St. Tammany Parish Court House. Enter Jefferson Avenue from 26th Avenue. (Do not attempt to enter from Columbia Street, 27th or 28th Avenue). Lineup will end at 9:00 am.
16. Only full-sized traditional floats must load the night before from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Overnight security will be provided.
17. The driver of any vehicle participating in the parade must stay with that vehicle. Under no condition are they to leave it without someone to drive it. All illegally parked cars in line-up area will be towed away.
18. Political and obscene themes, microphones and megaphones are not allowed on floats, trucks or individuals. No literature/pamphlets/flyers, etc. can be handed out on parade route.
19. No entry shall have a height exceeding fourteen (14) feet due to power lines, lights, etc. NO EXCEPTIONS.
20. Fire extinguisher required aboard all motor vehicles. All floats require an exit ladder. The Covington Fire Department will perform a safety inspection of all entries prior to being allowed to participate in the parade. External electrical sources must meet safety standards.
21. FREE reserved parking for parade participants at Covington’s Justice Center parking garage. The recommended entrance is on N. Madison Street near 26th Avenue.
22. Participants (drivers and riders) must comply with all City of Covington Ordinance Sections 35-46 pertaining to parades. (NOTE: See City of Covington’s website at www.covla.com under codes and ordinances for full list).