- Mardi Gras 2020 Parade Rules and Regulations
1. Categories are as follows:
a. Sponsored Floats
b. Truck Floats
c. Float drawn by separate vehicles
d. Antique Cars
e. Marching / Walking Groups
g. Dance Teams
2. Prizes will be awarded in four (4) categories – large float, small float, dance team and marching/walking group.
3. A marching group is ten (10) or more persons costumed alike.
4. Only organized groups of jeeps, motorcycles, bicycles, scooters, and horses will be allowed in the parade. Your club or organization entry form must be submitted by Friday, January 24, 2020 along with your donation for approval and to ensure participation in the parade. Solo entries will not be accepted. NOTE: Jeep group entries are limited to 12 vehicles each. ATV’s are not accepted.
5. Lineup placement for the parade will be decided on Wednesday, February 12, 2020. All entries received after this time will be placed following the previously positioned entries.
6. Any motorized vehicle must have liability insurance and must attach Certificate of Insurance to application form.
7. A brief meeting will be held Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at 7:00 pm, and each organization/participant must send at least one representative to the meeting, but more than one can attend. We will call the roll and each organization/participant must be represented to receive their parade position packet.
8. All trucks, floats, other rolling vehicles, riders and marching groups must be properly decorated and/or costumed in a theme appropriate to the event.
9. All rolling units must display the two (2) official position signs. (Lions Club will provide signs)
10. No object that could cause injury to a spectator may be thrown. Offenders will be ejected from the parade.
11. No throws are allowed from the driver in their vehicle.
12. Costumes and decorations, including music, must be appropriate for all ages. Obscene or deeply provocative themes are not allowed. Costumes must be theme of the float/truck or purple, green or gold attire.
13. CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS BY FLOAT RIDERS OR OTHER PARADE PARTICIPANTS IS NOT ALLOWED BEFORE OR DURING THE EVENT. PARTICIPANTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SMOKE WHILE IN THE PARADE.
14. Participants should begin arriving at 7:00 am Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at the St. Tammany Parish Court House. Enter Jefferson Avenue from 26th Avenue. (Do not attempt to enter from the Columbia Street, 27th or 28th Avenue). Lineup will end at 9:00 am.
15. Only full-size traditional floats must load the night before from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Overnight security will be provided.
16. Driver of any vehicle participating in the parade must stay with that vehicle. Under no condition are they to leave it without someone to drive it. All illegally parked cars in line-up area will be towed away.
17. Political and obscene themes, microphones and megaphones are not allowed on floats, trucks or individuals. No literature/pamphlets/flyers etc. can be handed out on parade route.
18. No entry shall have a height exceeding sixteen (16) feet due to power lines, lights, etc. NO EXCEPTIONS.
19. Fire extinguisher required aboard all motor vehicles. All floats require an exit ladder. The Covington Fire Department will perform a safety inspection of all entries prior to being allowed to participate in the parade. External electrical sources must meet safety standards.
20. FREE reserved parking for parade participants at Covington’s Justice Center parking garage. The recommended entrance is on N. Madison Street near 26th Street.
21. Participants (drivers and riders) must comply with all City of Covington ordinances pertaining to parades. (NOTE: See City of Covington’s website at www.covla.com under codes and ordinances for full list or obtain a copy from the Lions Club).